When summer makes an appearance, it has an energising effect, making many people happier and more energetic.
The lighter evenings and warm summer sunshine have an almost rejuvenating effect, so it would make sense to try to bring the summer indoors. After all, you do need to be inside for at least some of the time!
Below are our top 12 ways to bring summer into your home.
1. Textiles are probably the easiest items to change with the seasons. If you want your home to appear more summery, try investing in some new curtains and cushions in bright summer colours. This is something you can do throughout the home, from the living room to the bedrooms and bathroom. Some people even have two sets that they can change back when the winter months arrive.
2. Flowers are a great way to brighten your home and create beautiful scents. Try growing some aromatic herbs in small pots on the kitchen windowsill for a lovely summer vibe.
3. Fruit and vegetables in bowls will add a definite summer feel to the home. Try large ripe tomatoes or juicy peaches. These fruits will also smell delicious.
4. One of the best ways to bring the summer into the home is to give the bathroom a nautical feel. There are many fantastic accessories available relating to this, such as large beach prints and striped towels. However, for an affordable yet stylish design, why not fill some glass bottles with sand or make a beautiful centrepiece from shells and small stones collected yourself.
5. Pick up the heavy rugs and put them away until the weather turns colder again. Replace these rugs with natural materials or simply leave the wooden floors or tiles bare.
6. Consider adding more mirrors around the home as these will allow more light to flood your rooms via reflection and will have the effect of making the home feel brighter and more spacious. And if you really want to add a splash of fresh colour to your home why not incorporate some glass tiles, mosaic brick tiles or mosaic tiles.
7. String lights are a lovely addition to a home and they are an excellent way to create a beautiful atmosphere in any room, especially as the sun begins to set.
8. If the walls need to be painted, consider a lovely bright summer colour such as lemon yellow. This will instantly create a warm, summery atmosphere and will look great in any room, from bathroom to kitchen to bedroom. Yellow looks fantastic when co-ordinated with natural fibres and textures such as wicker, bamboo or rattan. Consider investing in some wicker baskets for around the home and fill them with pot-pourri or citrus fruits.
9. Look for scented candles in summer scents and place them around the home to add a lovely smell and some ambient light.
10. Think about printing out some photos from your last holiday abroad and make a large collage. You can place this as a feature piece in a hallway where you will see it every time you walk past.
11. If hay fever is a problem for you, consider some dried summer flowers to brighten up various spaces around the home. Dried flowers are ideal for any room, including bathrooms, and can add a touch of colour and style. Dried seasonal flowers in a decorative vase look superb.
12. Set up a cocktail bar in your kitchen where you can mix your own mouth-watering drinks to quench your thirst. Make a large jug of sangria and invite a few friends over; this will definitely bring some summer sunshine into your home.